This weekend on our breakfast table, a delicious meeting between India and Morocco. Couscous, a staple of Moroccan cuisine, meets “Upma” a traditional South Indian delicacy, but with a No-Mad twist. Served with fresh homemade coconut chutney, it is healthy, energizing, and oh so tasty. Clean eating at its best! Next time you crave that delicious Upma your Amma packed in your lunch box, perhaps give our Indo-Moroccan version a try!
1 cup couscous
1 cup finely chopped onions
3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
1 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp lemon juice
- Add couscous to 1 cup boiling water. Remove from flame, cover and let it stay.
- In a non stick pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the curry leaves, chana dal, urad dal, red chillies and saute for 30 seconds
- Add the onions and when it turns pink add the couscous to it.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and serve hot with fresh Coconut Chutney.